January – August of 2019
This is an immediate opening posted on January 9, 2019. Applications are being accepted now.
Join a team of hardworking staff members who take pride in the artistic quality of their work. Virginia Repertory Theatre is seeking a seasonal education Intern to join our staff. We are Central Virginia’s largest nonprofit, professional theatre company, with an annual operating budget of $5.5 million, four distinct venues, an educational touring arm, and an annual audience of 530,000. Virginia Rep creates professional productions of the great comedies, dramas and musicals – past, present and future. We also are dedicated to the development and production of new plays, and we seek to ensure these new works have lives beyond their productions at Virginia Rep.
- Assist with the planning, coordination, and execution of educational programming including Tiny Tales (preschool story drama), afterschool programming, workshops, camps, residencies and fully staged student performances.
- Represent and market the Virginia Rep’s Children’s Theatre at community events
- Provide administrative support to Education Department as needed
- House manage and/or work backstage crew for Virginia Rep productions
- Co-coordination, planning and instruction for multiple summer camps
- Additional projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in theatre, education or a related field
- Experience and passion for working with children of all ages (particularly preschool and elementary)
- A high level of comfort with improvisation as well as modeling a variety of different character roles during creative drama lessons
- Understanding of theatrical performance and a desire to connect theatre with other subject areas through arts integration
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse, collaborative environment
- Strong interest in theatre and/or working for a nonprofit organization preferred
Duration of Internship: Immediate opening – August 26, 2019.
Compensation: Interns will receive a bi-weekly stipend and local housing is available for those interns who need it. Interns able to house themselves will receive a stipend of $180/week. Those interns in need of Virginia Rep housing will receive a stipend of $130/week. Each housed intern will share a bedroom with another intern (non-co-ed) in a fully furnished apartment.
Supervisor: Education Manager